Thursday 1 April 2010

WATCHING : Figure Skating Winter Olympics 2010


I will begin by saying that I was a huge fan of figure skating up until 2 years ago.There really was a reason to just sit,watch and enjoy back then.Now it seems they (International Skating Union) are trying to somehow push the sport way back to its early days instead of pushing it forward and trying to make it better and better.
That's why I believe not giving the gold medal to Plushenko was an absolute shame.Lysacek's performance was,granded,very good,but no way was it enough to win him a gold medal.
How can you even call yourself an Olympic champion without even trying the quad??Now everyone will go "Ah, I won't even try to do a quad.I 'll just have good footwork and a fluid movement to go with it just for the show and that's it".Well, why don't they call it "Art skating" then?Oh, wait.There is a name for it.It's called Ice Dance!
Don't get me wrong.It's not Lysacek's fault, he is undoubtedly a great athlete. It's the system.
When Plushenko asked the judges why he scored so low in his short program,considering the quality of it, this is the answer they gave(paraphrasing) :"Your program was too early on and we couldn't give you a higher score without seeing other athletes perform".Whaaaaat?Are they for real???
Is figure skating ever gonna get back the way it was? I really don't know.One can only hope.

However,I decided to post a performance of my favourite skater who unfortunately ,due to an injury, didn't do as well as everyone knows he can and as a result he was placed 4th.
This is Stephane Lambiel, European Championship @Tallin 2010,Gala performance.


No comments:

Post a Comment